From abstract, global influences to detailed information on fibers and colour tones: this is what a presentation by Lidewij Edelkoort is all about. This season she paints a positive picture. Embryonic is the title of her presentation, and this is about nurturing new ideas and initiatives, and allowing these to grow into new models for our industry.
The budding of new ideas can be seen in material development; there is much attention to detail. Technological developments make materials smart and responsive, while handmade and traditional techniques offer texture and tactility. Lots of attention to raw materials and yarns: effect yarns are expected to make a comeback. Cord, tube and wick yarn is used to knot and tie.
Craftscurator picked the handmade design highlights from the presentation;
- nest-like structures, made of natural materials. Bamboo bench bij Ichiro.
- cocoon shapes, and the use of fine, as well as raw, silk. Yarn object by artist Sheila Hicks.
- woven products, using both synthetic and natural materials. Like the Pet Lamps made in Chile.
- coarse fibers, rope like material. Handmade bush string is made in Australia by Koskela. Cross stitch on a pouf by Gan Rugs.
- cork material, which is dense yet light weight. Apple by conscious brand Discipline.
- braided texture, in dense materials. Wool rug by Gan Rugs. Carved marble braid by Budri.
- tubular yarns and cords, knotted and tied into shape. Jersey tubes by Ku Me Ko, knotted rug Lucky in color Piggy by Danskina
- cuddly shapes in fur fur and pastel colors. Sofa by the Campana brothers for Edra.
- cushioned shapes, cloudy and soft. Sofa by Christiane Hogner.
- oatmeal and latte, Lidewij’s reference to new color shades, that all seem to have been soaked in milk. Tweed, made on restored looms in the city centre by the London Cloth Company.
- weight, heavy and raw materials. In this group, also weightless products that are blown up. Concrete bench by Remy Veenhuizen, carbon balloon chair by Marcel Wanders as seen in the february 2014 edition of Eigen Huis & Interieur.
For Stylink, Craftscurator wrote an article on Embryonic by Lidewij Edelkoort in Dutch.